My goodness, has it really been two years since I started Bon Eats? Time flies when you’re having fun!
It’s been another fantastic year of cooking and eating this year, and along the way, I’ve met some really great friends, both virtually and in real life. There have been so many incredible foodie memories in the past year, but here are my top five favourite posts from the past year:
1. Duck pho - The lovely Eleanor (@wokstar) of Be a Wok Star hosted a pho-and-tell back in March with a handful of other food bloggers. This was my contribution, and being my first attempt ever at making pho, it was delicious.
2. Waffle cookies - My favourite recent discovery, I can now have chewy, gooey, warm chocolate chip cookies in the blink of an eye. They’re also the perfect vehicle for ice cream sandwiches!
3. Night It Up! - This was one of my favourite food festivals last summer. If you haven’t been before, be sure to check it out this summer June 9-10!
4. Granola - This recipe has become my go-to for my breakfast granola.
That's right, bacon and apples, baked in a pie, courtesy of Darryl from Buster Rhino's.
5. Meatluck 1.0 - Meat, meat and more meat. Hosted by Joel (@foodie411) and with some top Toronto foodies attending, this was a legendary night of good food, good wine, and good company. The term “meatgasm” was also termed after this event.
And if you haven't noticed yet, Bon Eats is now its own domain (because it only took two years...)! Don't forget to update your bookmarks, but don't sweat it if you forget, as you'll still be redirected to my new home.
So what’s next for Bon Eats?
- Go Local: This past year has mostly focused on on my own experiences in the kitchen. But there are so many fabulous foodie moments outside of my kitchen that I don’t post about: Farmer’s markets, orchard picking, dining out. I hope to bring back more posts about the local food scene to Bon Eats, celebrating and showcasing fabulous good eats and the people behind them in and around Toronto.
- Wordless Wednesday: Inspired by Simply Fresh’s own “Wordless Wednesday” posts, these weekly posts will showcase my food-related photos. Many of my photos end up on the cutting-room floor, so this will be a way for some of them to get their own little spotlight.
- Off the Shelves: I love books. I've harboured a long-time love for reading, majored in English lit, and now work in the book industry. So it's really no surprise that I've picked up a couple of cookbooks along the way, and while I always say how pretty they look on my shelf, that's what they do. Remain pretty. But there's more to my bookshelf than just cookbooks. There's so much writing on food out there that has greatly influenced the way people think about food. Reviews, recommendations and giveaways...look out for them in the future!
The Black Hoof's horse sammy that'll knock your socks off.
Be sure to stay tuned as I celebrate the rising food scene in Stratford during my Perth County Week, starting Saturday, June 5! More good eats coming your way!